Friday, September 25, 2009

Getting out


I'm lying in the grass in front of the Mansion Theater in Branson. Lisel is Asleep on hr blanket next to me. We do this on the road. After a day, or a night, in the baby bus, I juts can't stand the idea of keeping this little nature baby cooped up in the stuffy hotel room. And yes, all but the best hotel rooms are stuffy.

Do I venture forth with a playmat, a baby bag and a baby, in search of a patch of green where we can play. Especially on beautiful days like today.

You might be surprised at how hard it can be sometimes to find a sweet spot. Or maybe you're not so surprised. Maybe you've noticed how removed we've become from green spaces. How concrete and asphalt are often the defaults.




When we do find grass, it's often in less than ideal conditions. Like now. We're in he lawn next to the entrance cul-de-sac. We're surrounded by the theater, a parking lot, and what looks like a mega church in the making. Oh, and behind us, 20 guys are re-roofing a hotel. There's lots and lots of hammering.

And bugs. We're in what looks like fertile territory, and bugs go where the things grow. I've seen silverfish and bees and horseflies and even a tick. Ewwwww.

I'll admit, suburban raised as I am, hanging on the green makes me a little nervous. There could be icky chemical in the grass right? And what about the bug exposure factor? Ewwww.

But despite my anxiety, I still seek the green. And we commence to playin' in the open air and the sun. And we do some trying too. Because there's only so mug inside a body can take.





-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: