Saturday, December 12, 2009

What I wore on this trip --part 1

I am someone who typically does not care what she looks like. My husband, sister, mother and bestest friends will attest that when it comes to style, I am and always have put little or no effort into appearance.

In day to day life I rarely wear makeup, usually wear jeans and t-shirts and/or sweatshirts and almost either let my hair air-dry and have fate style my hair, or throw up my unwashed and tangled locks into a big poof on top of my head.

Giving birth to a child has evaporated whatever small amount of giving-a-poop that I had before, so much so that I find myself leaving the house in outfits even I'm embarrased to be wearing. The problem is exacerbated by the fact the all my clothes are either too small or too big, due to the recent pregnancy/childbirth/tenacious baby weight thing I've been going through.

The one time I put effort into my appearance is when I go on stage.

And up until this tour, honestly, the effort was minimal.

When I heard about the Willie tour, I decided to step up my game a bit, and actually think about those womanly things --hair, makeup and clothes. Actually, I did more thinking about thinking about these things, because in the months and weeks leading up to the tour we were pretty busy. But about 5 days before we left, I started actually putting looks together, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with the result.

I decidedi wanted to go updated vintage. I had the dresses I'd worn on the Willie and the Wheel tour earlier this year which I'd found at my friend Jane's store, Amelia's Retro Vogue. Jane's shop is a literal treasure trove, and Jane was able to find me not one, but two dresses that actually fit my six week post baby body.

It was my dream to have at least one of these dresses, the gold one I wore on Austin City Limits, taken in and shortened, so as to fit my 11 month post baby body.

Now here's where my hair stylist, fate comes in. Because I wanted this dress altered, but 5 days before we were due to leave, had I taken it to a tailor?


No.

And then, while walking through the mall on a random and somewhat desparate search for shoes on the Sunday before we left, I ran into Sylvia Tate. Sylvia has actually made a quite a few amazing custom outfits for me and I had thought of calling her, but didn't think there was time due to my intense procrastination.

But Fate was working for me.

And I ran into Sylvia and she had that next day off and offered to swing by the house do some measurements and have the dress to me by Tuesday.

We were leaving Wednesday.

I am extremely lucky to have a friend like Sylvia Tate.

And I really love the results




Nice art shot, eh? I kind of love that you can see Dave in the background.

I was a little surprised at how comfotsble I was with the shortness, but I have to say I dig seeing my legs again. And I heart the way that the high waistedness works with my post baby tummy, rather than accentuating the poop put of it like so many new dresses do.

The shoes, which I'll give a close up of tomorrow are a pair of Sam Edelman t-strap platforms that I picked up in New York a couple of years ago. They have a thick platform and a super thick heel, so that you can stand comfortably in them for an hour to an hour and a half without having to sit down.

They are great gig heels.

What you can't really see in the picture is this delightful clip I found at Buffalo Exchange. Check it out! Zippers!




I have to say it feels good to look good on stage. I guess a little thought and a lot of luck goes a long way.

Tomorrow! The Blue Dress!

-- Post From My iPhone

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You put the 'Fire' in Brand, doll! That is a pretty fab look you're rocking! Big ups to your stylist friends- trust 'em- they KNOW what they are doing!!!

Catarina

karintracy said...

Adorable!

ALBraziel said...

Love it! Congrats... feels so good feelin' good again, huh?! Rock on!

Wendy said...

Rockin'!