Thursday, May 20, 2010

Inspirational Band Alert! -- Pomplamoose



Have you heard of these guys?


You've probably noticed that the music industry in totally imploding. The digital revolution has made making money off recorded music way more difficult. CD's are on deaths door (I personally haven't paid money for a CD in years. Years! And I'm a musician).  Digitized music is super copyable and distributable, so paying for music has become less attractive to the average music lover. Recording technology has become so widely available that tons and tons more music is being released that ever before. (The last number I heard was 120,000 albums released in 2009. 5 years ago that number was 30,000. Whaaaat!?!)


Things are changing her in music land.

It's kind of rough.

At least that's how I feel when I get all down and out. And then I came across Pomplamoose.

And I am no longer mopey. Rather I'm invigorated. Excited even.

Because here are two musicians, Jack Conte and Nataly Dawn, who have  carved out a new niche in this new world. What do they do? Well, they don't tour. They don't even play live much. And they don't just make records and have someone else put them out. 

They create video songs. Wikipedia explains it this way

Their videos mostly take the form of "VideoSongs", a medium Jack Conte defines with two rules:
  1. What you see is what you hear. (No lip-syncing for instruments or voice)
  2. If you hear it, at some point you see it. (No hidden sounds)[6]
 
Believe me when I say that you must see them to understand the awesomeness of the video song.


And they don't just make these videos for fun. They make a living selling downloads of the songs. Which is awesome. 

Go Pomplamoose! And thank you for my daily inspiration.

No comments: