Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Indoor summer fun experiment series -- the explanation

All the news you've heard about Austin is true! This town is hot, hot, hot. It's gotten so hot that advisories are being issued. So hot that suddenly winter logic--namely staying inside--is suddenly making more sense than the summer logic of outdoor delight whenever possible.

This is especially true for those of of with little bitty babies to take care of.

I'll tell you what though, if there's one thing I loathe, it's staying indoors with a toddler. I mean, I love Lisel all the way to that dwarf planet that used to be called Pluto and back, but she's at the age where her energy output about quintuples my own. And the prime directive of my life most days seems to be to create an environment where my energizer toddler can expend that energy. Run! Jump! Swim! Walk backwards! Swing! Slide! Rock out!

Because at the end of the day, a tired kid is a happy kid.

And so is her mom.

Now if it were just Lisel, we would still be braving all kinds of heat. That's what pools were made for. And nothing tires a kid out like exertion and hot hot heat. But we have a baby for whom heat advisories were made, so, we have to go to plan "stay inside."

I'm a little scared.

In the coming days, I'll be running my own indoor summer fun experiments and blogging the results. All those suggestions I asked for before? I'll be testing them out in the lab that is our house.

I had planned on doing that before, but then kept convincing myself that it was still alright to venture out with both kids...99 degrees is so doable, yes? 101 isn't so bad if you keep to the shade.

But this heat is even too hot for my desperate mommy delusion.

By the way, I've been trying to convince myself that these utterly ridiculous temperatures will only last for a week. But this is the August y'all, and August has always been our hottest month around here so maybe this will become a month long endeavor.

Oy!

I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S. Dave just told me the hottest month around her is actually September. Holy crap.





No comments: