Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mommy's Girl

Right now, Lisel is going through a bit of a mommy phase. As a result, I've found that I have some pretty amazing powers. We've taken to calling these powers "Mommy Magic." I have miracle calming abilities, owing to my smell and the ample milk supply I carry around with me at all times. I can help Lisel go from screaming to smiling in a matter of minutes . It's awesome...for me anyway.

Not so awesome for other folks, especially babysitters who are trying to get our daughter to sleep. Our gig time just happens to coincide with Lisel's bedtime. She's become accustomed to falling asleep lying next to me, nursing herself to sleep. It's a sweet and easy descent into dreamtime. And having someone try to get her to sleep with a bottle, well she just hates it.

Hates it.

And she is very vocal about it.

Very.

Like Kathleen and Carol found out in Philadelphia.

And Leslie found out in Ann Arbor.

Leslie is the sister of a good friend of ours, and she graciously offered to watch Lisel during our show at the Ark. Lisel pretty much cried the entire time. Luckily for her, her neice Jenny showed up with her month old baby Jacob. They had one calm baby and one screaming baby. It was like baby Yin and Yang. Balance.






A brief moment of calmness.

We're trying to figure out a way to get Lisel acclimated to babysitters. I fear that means that we'll have to get her used to falling asleep with a bottle. I fear that our sweet nighttime ritual will have to go the way of the Dodo.

I'm not really sure if that will work. One thing we're learning is that even though she's only four months old, she's her own person. We can try and get her to do what we want her to do, but in the end, it's up to her.

We'll see how the experiment goes.


-- Post From My iPhone

1 comment:

MAYBELLINE said...

Breast pump should be your next best friend and Lisle's too. Please look into it before considering formula.