Friday, July 20, 2012

Aurora


Like many of us, one of the first things I did when I woke up this morning was reach for my phone and check one of the many social media streams that pass through it. And so, one of the first things I read was about the tragic shooting in Aurora, Colorado.  My heart aches for the people, many of them children, who were killed or hurt, and for their families and friends.  
I don’t want to get up on a soapbox, but I do believe that we need a reasonable policy concerning guns in this country.  This piece by Adam Gopnik in the New Yorker online pretty well sums up what I’m feeling right now.  It’s terrifying to me how regular mass shooting are in this country, especially now that I’m a parent. It can’t be that there is no solution, that we are powerless against our own gun culture. That just can’t be true.

No comments: